Children with speech and language challenges have difficulty in one or more areas of communication. These difficulties may affect their ability to develop relationships, progress academically, understand others’ ideas and share their thoughts. Speech and Ianguage therapy treats disorders and concerns in the areas of
- Receptive and expressive language – the ability to understand and use language to communicate.
- Articulation – using the structures and muscles of the oral mechanism to accurately project the sounds required
- Voice -using appropriate pitch, volume, and intonation to convey a variety of
- Fluency – the ability to connect sounds, syllables, and words together smoothly while
At ICAN, we build a connection between the therapist and child to Behavioral Analysts, teachers, parents, siblings, and peers to generalize skills across different contexts.Speech therapy accomplishes goals together. We acknowledge the child’s developmental, sensory, and communication needs, and adapt therapy accordingly. We provide one-on-one therapy sessions with frequent socialization opportunities with peers, and utilize a comprehensive interdisciplinary developmental framework by collaborating with occupational therapists, Board Certified Behavior Analysts, Psychologists and more. Our speech therapy applies research based practices such as Pivotal Response Treatment (PRT) and Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) to create individualized goals based on a child’s specific needs.
Speech and language therapy promotes:
- Functional communication to express wants, needs, feelings, and
- The understanding of verbal language to process, store, and act on important information.
- Engagement in play with siblings and
- Creative use of language as well as exploration of emotions, causality, and
- Reading others’ nonverbal cues, responding to social language, engaging in back-and-forth interactions, and perspective taking
- Problem-solving using language
ICAN speech therapists also provide specialized Social Groups (TAG!) and Augmentative Alternative Communication (iLearn) support.